Dedication of the Union Pacific Depot
The City of Manhattan and the Manhattan/Riley County Preservation Alliance dedicated the Union Pacific Depot June 3, 2006. The Depot is located on Fort Riley Boulevard (K-18) near the K-177 Interchange and Manhattan Town Center.
1866 - Manhattan’s original wooden depot was built.
1902 - The existing brick one-story depot was built at a cost of $10,000 to accommodate the growing needs of the community.
1903 - President Theodore Roosevelt stopped at the depot during his renowned Whistlestop Campaign.
1938 - The depot was again remodeled to provide for electrical service, a new heating plant, and an interior update.
1951 - The depot’s platform sustained damage during a flood, yet continued serving passengers until 1971 and freight trains until 1984.
Rehabilitation & Improvements
The City of Manhattan took ownership of the building in 1990. Since that time, the City and the Manhattan/Riley County Preservation Alliance have created partnerships for the rehabilitation of the structure and provided site improvements. Sources of funding have included a Heritage Trust Fund Grant from the Kansas State Historical Society, Transportation Enhancement Funds from the Kansas Department of Transportation, city funds, and generous contributions from Manhattan citizens. Several phases of depot restoration have resulted in the preservation of one of Manhattan’s most significant historic landmarks.
Future of the Depot
The building is managed by the Manhattan Parks and Recreation Department. It is available for rent as a multi-use facility suitable for exhibitions, conferences, receptions, parties, meetings, weddings, etc.