- You Are Here:
- Public Works
The mission of the City of Manhattan is to put the well-being of people at the heart of everything we do.
Through a well-trained, highly motivated, professional City staff, we move the community forward in a way that is:
- Open, welcoming, and inclusive
- Forward-thinking and innovative
- Accountable, transparent, and fiscally responsible
- Contributory to a high quality of life, amenities, and opportunities
- Protective of natural resources and the environment
City of Manhattan Public works is composed of four divisions. These divisions include Engineering, Streets & Fleet, Water & Wastewater, and Administration. The City of Manhattan's mission and strategic plan includes a significant portion of our departments responsibility and we work hard everyday to accomplish this mission and the goals of the strategic plan.
Now Hear This
Before beginning any type of construction, please contact Dig Safe at 800-DIG-SAFE (800-344-7233) or www.kansasonecall.com.
You think you may know where the electric, gas, water, sewer, phone, cable TV or other lines are located on your property; however, you need to be 100 percent sure of their location in order to avoid disaster. City utility locators will go to your property, at no cost to you, and locate City mains and lines. Color coded flags will be placed to mark the locations of specific lines. To locate private lines on your property, contact a plumber.
Notification of City of Manhattan Ordinance No. 7462, Right of Way Permit Program
On November 19, 2019, the City of Manhattan Governing Body passed Ordinance No. 7462. The purpose being to create a registration and permit process for facilities work impacting vehicular or pedestrian traffic or requiring excavation of the City Rights-of-Way. Effective 10/1/2020, the City will start to implement this ordinance through a required permit program. This ordinance is to assist the City of Manhattan in monitoring work being done in the City Right of Ways and that the work does not damage City infrastructure. If you have any questions or concerns pertaining to this, contact Ben Kearns at either Ben.Kearns@cityofmhk.com or 785-587-4588.
Temporary Use of Public Right-of-Way Permit Application (online form)
Annual Application for Public Right-of-Way (online form)
Extension of Right of Way Permit Term
Right of Way Utility Cut Work Order (online form)
- How can I find out the easements on my property?
- How can I find out where a street is located within the City of Manhattan?
- How can I get a copy of a Subdivision Plat drawing?
- I have a drainage easement on my property. What can I build on this easement?
- I have a utility easement on my property. What can I build on this easement?
- I have concerns about stormwater drainage. Who do I contact?