Work Zone Safety
If you see City of Manhattan employees in your neighborhood, please be cautious in their work area. The Kansas Department of Transportation and the Kansas Highway Patrol offer the following tips to help keep you safe in work zones.
- Buckle up — Every trip, every time. Safety belts save lives.
- Stay alert — Dedicate your full attention to the roadway, and periodically watch for approaching vehicles in your rear view mirror.
- Follow signs — They'll guide you through work zones safely.
- Expect the unexpected — Obey road crew flaggers, workers and equipment because work zones can change.
- Pay attention — Turn the radio down and don't use your cellphone.
- Be patient — Remember workers are improving the road for future travels.
- Don't speed — Follow posted limits and adjust for weather conditions.
- Don't drink and drive — Impairment of any kind is unacceptable.
- Be nice — Merge as directed, don't tailgate, leave plenty of space between vehicles, and don't change lanes in a work zone.