Risk Reduction, a Division of Manhattan Fire, administers city ordinances relating to health, safety and protection of residents and their property. Code officers also review plans and issue building permits for new construction, additions and alterations. Building moving permits, curb cut permits, mobile home permits, electrical, mechanical and plumbing permits, as well as all contractor and trade licenses are also issued by the Risk Reduction Division.
**Due to the Covid-19 Pandemic, the Risk Reduction office is closed to public entrance, and will be until further notice. We are, however, fully staffed and operational. If you are unable to submit document(s) online, please call us, 785-587-4506, and we will make arrangements for you to bring them to our office. Once you arrive, please call us again so that we are aware that you are here. Thank you for your patience.
Click HERE to read Construction Inspection Updates
Risk Reduction gave a presentation on Property Maintenance and Housing Inspections at the 2021 Fair Housing Webinar last week. To view the presentation, click on the link below:
All licenses that expire December 31 of even years should have renewed. If you have not, and are planning to perform work in the City of Manhattan, please do so. This includes: PLUMBING, MECHANICAL, DRAINLAYING, IRRIGATION, SHEETMETAL, GASFITTING Have all paperwork ready and click the link below to renew your license.
New Faces In Risk Reduction
We are excited to announce a new member of the Risk Reduction team.
Lacey Brown joined the Risk Reduction Division as a Building Inspector on March 22nd. After graduating from Kansas State University in 2008, she worked several years as a mechanical engineer for Peter Kiewett & Sons. More recently, Lacey and her family owned and operated Widgets Family Fun in Manhattan.
Continuing Education Classes:Virtual Continuing Education Event
Fire and Life Safety on the Jobsite
Wednesday, November 4, 2020
- Find a list of approved continuing education classes for electrical, mechanical and plumbing contractors.
View powerpoints from recent CEU classes below:
Significant Changes to the 2018 IRC and IBC - view powerpoint here
Significant Changes to the 2017 NEC - view powerpoint here
New Online Features
- Online rental registration is now available.
- Contractor database: This database contains information on individuals and companies currently licensed by the Risk Reduction Division of the Manhattan Fire Department, for work in the City of Manhattan. Journeyman and master licensed individuals must work for a licensed contractor in order to conduct work within the city. If there are any questions or for further information on individual licenses, please contact our office at 785-587-4506.
- Contractors: Check the status of inspections on your projects. Permit number required.
- Check to see if your roofing contractor is registered as required by the State of Kansas.