Property Owner Info

Have a "contributing" property in a historic district, listed on the Register of Historic Kansas Places (the State Register), or the National Register of Historic Places? Planning a project for your historic building? Here you will find resources on the process of working on a historic property, financing opportunities, and how to rehabilitate, preserve, and maintain your historic property. 

Historic Review Process

If you are planning a project on a property that requires a building permit, demolition permit, or sign permit and the property is within a historic district or is individually listed on the Local, State, or National Register of Historic Places, the project must be reviewed for historic compatibility before a permit can be issued. To get a project reviewed, you must submit either a Minor or a Major Historic Review Application.

View the applications for more details on the historic review process and to submit historic review applications.

The review process ensures that the proposed project meets the Secretary of the Interior Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties, so that historic property is not damaged, destroyed, or diminished in integrity.

Grants and Tax Credits

Typically, four types of historic properties are eligible for historic preservation grants and/or tax credits: 

  1. Properties listed on the Register of Historic Kansas Places (State Register).
  2. Properties listed National Register of Historic Places.
  3. Properties in a historic district designated as "contributing" properties.
  4. Non-designated historic buildings built prior to 1936.

Tax Credits

The state program provides a tax credit equal to 25% of qualified expenditures on income-producing or non income-producing properties listed on the State or National Register or classified as "contributing" in a district. The federal program provides an income-tax credit equal to 20% of qualified historic rehabilitation expenditures for income-producing properties. Information about these and other State and Federal Historic Tax Credit Programs can be found on the Tax Credit Basics page of the Kansas Historic Society website.

The National Park Service and the Internal Revenue Service also offer a federal income tax credit equal to 10% of a property owner's investment in the rehabilitation of a non-residential and non-designated, historic building built prior to 1936. See the National Park Service webpage for more details.


The most common grant offered to owners of historic properties is the Heritage Trust Fund (HTF) Grant, offering up to $90,000 for rehabilitation, restoration and preservation projects on historic properties with a 20% match. Other grant opportunities offered by the State of Kansas, the federal government and other institutions can be found on the Grants page of the Kansas Historic Society website.
Example of tax credit and grant project

Eligible Properties

You can view if a property is "contributing" or listed on the State or National Register by referring to the Historic Districts and Sites Map below. State and National Register sites are marked with an orange dot and contributing properties in a historic district are overlaid in green. A list of local properties on the State and National Register is also on the Historic Properties page on the City website. The official historic status of properties can be searched in the Kansas Historic Resources Inventory.

Preserving your Historic Property

Tips, techniques, and resources for preserving your historic home or business can be found on both the Kansas Historic Society website and the Technical Preservation Services page of the National Park Service website. The State Historic Society also maintains a list of contractors specializing in the restoration and rehabilitation of historic homes. 

For homeowners interested in restoring a brick sidewalk, you can download instructions for two alternative methods of brick sidewalk repair developed by the Manhattan city engineer. The first method includes a concrete base while a less expensive alternative uses a sand base only.