All dogs and cats over six months of age are required to have a pet license and current rabies vaccination in the City of Manhattan, Kansas.
To Purchase a Pet License
- Bring your dog or cat to a veterinarian for rabies vaccination (OR bring your proof of vaccination to a participating veterinarian or to City Hall - 1101 Poyntz Ave)
- Fill out an application form
- Pay the fee
- The city clerk will record the rabies tag information and issue a pet license
- Keep the rabies tag on your pet's collar. It will serve as the animal's proof of license.
- Make sure to renew your pet's vaccination and license when they expire
|Term of License||Neutered/Spayed||NOT Neutered/Spayed|
|Up to one year||$6||$24|
|Up to two years||$12||$48|
|Up to three years||$16||$64|
Participating Veterinary Offices
|Animal Doctor Westside||785-539-7922||3130 Anderson Avenue|
|Blue Hills Animal Hospital||785-537-8482||2313 Tuttle Creek Boulevard|
|Candlewood Veterinary Clinic||785-537-0537||3262 Kimball Avenue|
|Fur Family Animal Hospital||785-712-2332||530 McCall Rd Suite 100|
|Little Apple Veterinary Hospital||785-539-0191||909 Seth Child Road|
|Vet Health Center at KSU||785-532-5690||1800 Denison Avenue|
About the Pet License Ordinance
On August 7, 2018, the City Commission approved Ordinance No. 7368, which regulates the licensing of dogs and cats. Following are the main provisions of the ordinance:
- Current rabies vaccination and pet license are required for any dog or cat over six months of age within the City of Manhattan, Kansas
- Veterinarians may process applications and charge a $5 administration fee in addition to the cost of the license
- The rabies tag number will serve as the pet license number on record. No additional tags will be issued.
- Proof of neutering / spaying must be provided in order to receive the neutered / spayed license price
- Fines for unlicensed dogs and cats will be $25.00 for a first offense, $100.00 for a second offense, and $500.00 for a third offense
Additional Information About Pet Licenses
- Customers have the option of buying an annual license as long as the term of the license does not exceed the month in which the anti-rabies vaccine expires.
- The city provides vets with applications.
- The application and appropriate fee can be mailed to the customer service office, and the pet license will then be mailed to the applicant.
- Each month, the customer service office sends out a renewal notice for every pet whose license expires the beginning of the next month. Only one renewal notice is sent.
- Each month, the customer service office provides the Animal Shelter with a list of all pets currently licensed, expiration date of rabies vaccine and the license term.