Kansas is one of a few states in the country that does not license or regulate the profession of massage therapy. The City seeks to protect the public health, safety and welfare of citizens, and massage therapy practitioners in the community by setting standards and regulations to practice. Therefore, on April 16, 2019, the City Commission passed an ordinance establishing licensing requirements and regulations for massage therapists and massage therapy establishments within Manhattan city limits.
The ordinance takes effect on August 1, 2019. To read the full ordinance, click here.
The Customer Service Division at city hall processes all massage therapist and massage therapy establishment applications and renewals. City hall is located at 1101 Poyntz Avenue with customer services hours from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Licenses are valid for two years upon issuance and must be renewed prior to expiration.
If you have a massage therapy establishment within a residential home or building, you are required to fill out the Zoning Regulation Acknowledgement.
If you are a massage therapist that does not meet at least one of the educational requirements, and need to meet the three substitute requirements, here is the link for the required sworn statement.
If you are a licensed therapist or establishment and any information changes, you are required fill out a change of information form.
- When does this ordinance take effect?
- What is massage therapy?
- What is the fee for a massage therapist application?
- What are the educational requirements for a new massage therapist license?
- Are continuing education units (CEUs) required for massage therapists upon renewal of license?
- Are students of massage therapy required to obtain a massage therapist license?
- Are criminal background checks involved?
- What will prevent a person from being issued a massage therapist or establishment license?
- What is the fee for a massage therapy establishment license?
- Are operators of the establishment (besides the license applicant) subject to the fee and background check?
- Can I operate a massage therapy establishment as a home occupation within a residential building?
- Do I need to be a licensed massage therapist to apply for a massage therapy establishment license or operate a massage therapy establishment?
- Do I need to fill out and pay for both applications if I am a massage therapist and have a massage therapy establishment?
- What if the information or location related to my massage therapy establishment changes?
- Are there any rules when operating a massage therapy establishment?
Questions related to the ordinance and application process can be directed to the Customer Service Division at (785) 587-2480.