Wildlife and Deceased Animals

City of Manhattan animal control officers do not possess the permits, training, or equipment to remove, handle, house, or rehabilitate wild animals. However, they may be contacted to help direct the public to the appropriate wildlife resources. To speak with an animal control officer about questions pertaining to wildlife, please contact the Riley County Police Department non-emergency line at (785) 537-2112 Ext. 0.

For answers and tips about how to handle nuisance wildlife problems, please visit the Humane Society of the United States website for Wildlife Management Solutions.

For a list of licensed wildlife damage control permit holders, visit the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks website.

If you encounter sick, injured, or orphaned wildlife, please visit the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks website for information on what you should do and for a list of licensed Kansas wildlife rehabilitators.

Deceased Animals

Manhattan animal control officers may be called to assist with deceased wild and domestic animals on public property, sidewalks, and roadways. Deceased animals can be reported to Animal Control by contacting the RCPD non-emergency line at (785) 537-2112 Ext. 0.

Pet cremation services may be offered at local veterinary clinics and the K-State Veterinary Hospital.

  1. Animal Shelter

    Physical Address
    605 Levee Drive
    Manhattan, KS 66502

    Hours are 1 to 5 p.m.
    Monday thru Saturday
    Closed Sundays (appointment only)
    and City holidays

    Animal Control
    Contact via RCPD
    (785) 537-2112 Ext. 0
    or wait for an operator