City seeks residents to serve on Community Project Committee
(Manhattan, KS – December 11, 2020) The City of Manhattan is partnering with Planning NEXT, a strategic planning consultant of Columbus, Ohio, to help undertake a community-led effort to establish a vision, goals, and short and long-term strategic actions for the City of Manhattan. These decisions will help guide the City's annual budget process. The City is seeking a diverse group of 25-30 community members to assist in the planning process and serve on a Community Project Committee.
Applications will be considered through December 30 to serve on the committee. Interested residents can apply here on the City's website.
The strategic planning process will begin in January 2021 and take approximately eight months to complete. During that time, Planning NEXT will work with City staff to coordinate and facilitate approximately five meetings with the committee, which will be open to the public. Committee members may also act as spokespersons for the planning effort, serve as hosts at public events, and facilitate small group discussions at public engagement events during the strategic planning process.
“This committee will work closely with City staff, the planning consultant team, and other stakeholders to bring insight and perspective to the planning process. They will help spread the word about the planning effort to encourage community participation,” said Jared Wasinger, Assistant to the City Manager. “They will also advise on the plan’s substance, helping staff and the consultant team to integrate the community’s input with technical analysis."
The responsibilities of the committee are to:
- Officially represent Manhattan residents in the planning process.
- Provide guidance and direction to staff and consultants at crucial steps in the process.
- Act as spokespersons for the effort.
- Serve as hosts at public events during the process. (May be held virtually.)
- Identify volunteers for sub-committees that may be needed and provide direction to those committees as their work takes place.
- Recruit volunteers to assist with conducting outreach and facilitation at public meetings.
- Volunteer to facilitate at public meetings.
- Disseminate information during the planning process through their individual networks.
- Present the vision for adoption before appropriate adopting bodies.
- Serve as stewards of the plan once it is adopted.
The mission of the City of Manhattan is to sustain order and protect public safety, promote public health, preserve the built environment, and enhance economic vitality. The city supports a regional community in which individuals and families develop and thrive. More information about the City of Manhattan is available online at www.cityofmhk.com, on Facebook at /Cityofmanhattan and on Twitter @cityofmhk.